Write a 4-5 page evidence-based
proposal to support the need for a nurse informaticist in an
organization who would focus on improving health care outcomes.
As you begin to prepare this assessment, you are encouraged to
complete the Team Perspectives of the Nurse Informaticist activity.
Completion of this will help you succeed with the assessment as you
explore the nurse informaticist’s role from the different perspectives
of the health care team. Completing activities is also a way to
Nurses at the baccalaureate level in all practice areas are involved
in nursing informatics through interaction with information management
and patient care technologies. Nurses must not only demonstrate
knowledge of and skills in health information and patient care
technologies, but also how to use these tools at the bedside and
organizational levels. Moreover, nurses need to recognize how
information gathered from various health information sources can impact
decision making at the national and state regulatory levels.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your
proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment
scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe nurses’ and the interdisciplinary team’s
role in informatics with a focus on electronic health information and
patient care technology to support decision making.
- Define nursing informatics and the role of the nurse informaticist.
- Explain how the nurse collaborates with the interdisciplinary
team, including technologists, to improve the quality of patient care.
- Justify the need for a nurse informaticist in a health care organization.
- Competency 2: Implement evidence-based strategies to effectively manage protected health information.
- Explain evidence-based strategies that the nurse and
interdisciplinary team can use to effectively manage patients’ protected
health information (privacy, security, and confidentiality).
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication to
facilitate use of health information and patient care technologies.
- Follow APA style and formatting guidelines for citations and references.
- Create a clear, well-organized, and professional proposal that
is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
For this assessment, assume you are a nurse attending a meeting of
your state’s nurses’ association. A nurse informaticist conducted a
presentation on her role and its impact on positive patient and
organizational outcomes in her workplace. You realize that your
organization is undergoing many technological changes. You believe this
type of role could provide many benefits to your organization.
You decide to pursue proposing a nurse informaticist role in your
organization. You speak to your chief nursing officer (CNO) and human
resources (HR) manager. These individuals ask you to prepare a 4–5 page
evidence-based proposal to support the new role. In this way, they can
make an informed decision as to whether the addition of such a role
could justify the return on investment (ROI). They need your proposal
before an upcoming fiscal meeting.
To successfully prepare for this assessment, you will need to complete these preparatory activities:
- Review assessment resources and activities.
- Conduct independent research on the nursing knowledge and skills
necessary to interact with health information and patient care
- Focus your research on current resources available through
peer-reviewed articles, professional websites, government websites,
professional blogs, wiki pages, job boards, et cetera.
- Consult the BSN Program Library Research Guide for help in identifying scholarly and authoritative sources.
- Interview peers in your network who are considered information technology experts.
- Ask them about how information technology advances are
impacting patient care at the bedside, at the organizational level, and
The Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and Human Resources (HR) manager have
asked you to include the following headings in your proposal and to be
sure to address the bullets underneath each heading:
Nursing Informatics and the Nurse Informaticist
- What is nursing informatics?
- What is the role of the nurse informaticist?
Nurse Informaticists and Other Health Care Organizations
- What is the experience of other health care organizations with nurse informaticists?
- How do these nurse informaticists interact with the rest of the nursing staff and the interdisciplinary team?
Impact of Full Nurse Engagement in Health Care Technology
- How does fully engaging nurses in health care technology impact:
- Patient care?
- Protected health information (security, privacy, and confidentiality)?
- Costs and return on investment?
Opportunities and Challenges
- What are the opportunities and challenges for nurses and the
interdisciplinary team with the addition of a nurse informaticist role?
- How can the interdisciplinary team collaborate to improve quality care outcomes through technology?
Summary of Recommendations
- What are 3–4 key takeaways from your proposal about the
recommended nurse informaticist role that you want the CNO and the HR
manager to remember?
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Submission length: 4–5 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and references page.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Citations and References: Cite a minimum of 3 current scholarly and/or authoritative sources to support your ideas. In addition, cite a minimum of 1 current professional blog or website to support your central ideas. Current means no more than five years old.
- APA formatting: Be sure to follow APA formatting and style guidelines for citations and references. For an APA refresher, consult the APA Style and Format page on Campus.
Portfolio Prompt: Save your presentation to your ePortfolio. Submissions to the ePortfolio will be part of your final capstone course.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
Nurse Informaticist activity was first posted on January 17, 2020 at 10:58 am.
©2019 "Assignment Hub". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at email@example.com