Unit: What is Morality?
Due Date: Tue,9/24/19
Grading Type: Numeric
Points Possible: 150
Points Earned: 0
Deliverable Length: See assignment details 4-5 pages
View objectives for this assignment
- Assignment Details
- Learning Materials
- Reading Assignment
Looking for tutoring? Go to Smarthinking
Collapse All | Expand All
You will create this assignment following the Assignment Detail instructions below. This assignment will be submitted in the Unit 5 – Submission Assignment lesson in intellipath.
Review the tutorial titled How to Submit the Intellipath Submission Assignment.
Please submit your work to this weekâ€™s Intellipath Unit Submission lesson. Click the Upload button within the submission lesson to access the submission area. Click the Select file button to upload your document, then click “OK” to finish.
- Use the following 2 starting points to develop your essay on morality and ethics:
- The article by Jay Feldman: Sunday Dialogue: How Corporations Behave
- Alfred North Whitehead’s controversial statement, “What is morality in any given time and place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like and immorality is what they dislike” (BrainyQuote, 2018).
- Think about those two perspectives, and then select 1 of the focal questions in Part 1 of the assignment. Your response to the selected focal question will guide you to formulate a thesis statement.
- Discuss the article and Whiteheadâ€™s statement in the introduction, body, and conclusion of the essay.
- Locate and utilize at least 2 credible sources to support the arguments presented in your paper. Make sure you cite them appropriately within your paper, and list them in APA format on your Reference page.
- Ensure that your paper is 4â€“5 pages in length, not counting the Title page and Reference page. In accordance with APA formatting requirements, your paper should include a Title and Reference page, should be double-spaced, and should include a running head and page numbers.
Part 1: Formulating the Philosophical Thesis Statement
Select only 1 of the following focal questions to answer to help formulate your thesis statement:
- Businesses can have ethical standards, but businesses are not moral agents. Do you agree or disagree?
- Is it true that the “bottom line” of a business is profit and profit alone?
- In business, are there other, less tangible goals that are intrinsic toâ€”and just as important asâ€”making money?
- In a business environment, why should people be moral as individuals?
- Why should a corporation or organization be moral?
- Could you apply the first formulation of Kant’s categorical imperative to a business environment?
Part 2: Developing the Essay
- Identify your thesis statement (argument claim) within the introduction of your paper.
- Conduct research using library resources. Please use the article presented above (Sunday Dialogue: How Corporations Behave) as well as 2 additional sources.
- Outline your essay, considering deontological ethics, teleological ethics, moral objectivism, and ethical relativism in your argument.
- Provide at least 3 valid reasons to support your argument. Remember to think critically hereâ€”there likely are reasons that may not be evident at first.
- Also, be sure to include the following in your essay:
- Use of explanations of philosophical conceptsâ€”such as utilitarianism, categorical imperatives, process philosophy, moral relativism, moral absolutism, ethical relativism, moral objectivism, deontological ethics, or teleological ethicsâ€”to structure your essay and provide evidence to support your claims.
- Remember, you can use these concepts to argue for or against a particular statement (e.g., from a deontological perspective, something might be “right,” whereas that same thing may be “wrong” from a utilitarian perspective).
- Your argument and reasons (claims) should be defended by philosophical concepts supported by evidence, which is based on your research.
Part 3: ConclusionConsider morality and ethics from the perspective of Alfred North Whitehead’s process philosophy and Immanuel Kant’s universal categorical imperative. After conducting your research and writing your essay, could you conclude that businesses can have ethical standards, despite the fact that businesses are not moral agents? Explain why or why not. Sum up your argument based on the evidence presented in the paper.Part 4: Review Checklist Before Submitting Essay
- Your essay should be checked for proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- You may find that you change your mind on the issue as you are writing your paper. That is fine, but be sure to present your ultimate decision at the beginning of the paper, and stick to it consistently throughout. This may require that you go back and change paragraphs to support your changed thesis statement.
- Your argument should be clear, concise, and supported with logically valid claims and evidence followed by APA in-text citations.
- A Reference page documenting your sources should be included. Please use the article presented above (Sunday Dialogue: How Corporations Behave) as well as 2 additional sources.
- Your paper must be 4â€“5 pages in length, not counting the Title page and Reference page. In accordance with APA formatting requirements, your paper should include a Title and Reference page, should be double-spaced, and should include a running head and page numbers.
BrainyQuote. (2018). Alfred North Whitehead quotes. Retrieved from https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/alfred_north_whitehead_133258
Feldman, J. N. (2012, September 1). Sunday dialogue: How corporations behave. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/opinion/sunday/sunday-dialogue-how-corporations-behave.html.
Assignment CriteriaProficient DescriptorPoints
Philosophical thesis statement
Develops an introduction to the essay that includes the following:â€¢
- Identifies 1 of the 6 questions that was selected for the assignment.
- States why the selected question on morality and ethics is important.
- Presents the philosophical thesis statement, a single sentence that represents the studentâ€™s position and previews what will be covered in the essay.
Background for argument claim
Expands the argument claim on morality and ethics that will be presented in the paper. Refers to the Feldman article and at least 2 additional sources in building the argument.Discusses deontological ethics, teleological ethics, moral objectivism, and ethical relativism as topics for building the argument.
Support for the argument
Provides at least 3 valid reasons to support the argument. Demonstrates critical thinking by using appropriate supporting reasons that may be either evident or obscure.Explains philosophical concepts, referring to credible sources. Any, all, or more of the following may be included:
- Categorical imperatives
- Process philosophy
- Moral relativism
- Moral absolutism
- Ethical relativism
- Moral objectivism
- Deontological ethics
- Teleological ethics
Application of philosophical theory
Applies philosophical concepts supported by evidence, based on the studentâ€™s research that refers to credible sources.Philosophical concepts related to morality and ethics are clearly used to argue for or against a statement.
Morality and ethics remarks
Briefly describes morality and ethics from the following 2 perspectives:
- Alfred North Whitehead’s process philosophy.
- Immanuel Kant’s universal categorical imperative
Defends whether or not businesses are moral agents.
Concludes that businesses can or cannot have ethical standards.Summarizes oneâ€™s own argument.
Provides a 4â€“5-page essay that is double-spaced and includes a Title page, Reference page, running head, and page numbers.
Credible information sources (a minimum of 3: the Feldman article and 2 more sources) utilized and are clearly identified, properly cited, and referenced using APA style.
Grammar & Mechanics
Sentences are clear, well-articulated, and free from grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors
If you are planning to repurpose an assignment or submit one you have used before, please let your instructor know. If an instructor is not made aware of work being repurposed or reused, he or she will treat the assignment as a plagiarized task and reserves the right to post an F grade and submit a task for review to administration until proof of originality is provided. Click here for more information.The following are some tips if you have problems submitting your assignment:
- Resave in the proper format per the Assignment Detail instructions and resubmit.
- Submit with a different Web browser.
- Submit from a different computer.
- Call Technical Support at 877-221-5800, Menu Option 2. They are open 24/7.
- If you are still having difficulties after trying steps 1â€“4, please contact your course instructor.
Make sure you submit this assignment by the listed due date. Late deductions will apply for this assignment as follows:
- Assignments submitted within 7 calendar days after the stated due date: 10% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 8â€“14 calendar days after the stated due date: 20% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 15â€“21 calendar days after the stated due date: 30% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 22â€“28 calendar days after the stated due date: 40% penalty of total assignment points.
- No assignments, including late assignments, will be accepted after the end of the course unless an approved Incomplete has been granted.
“. WITH BRAINY TERM PAPERS AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT”
Moral Ethics Of Philosophy was first posted on September 27, 2019 at 7:42 am.
©2019 "Brainy Term Papers". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at email@example.com
"Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!"