(1) Explain the social, political, and economic structure of Medieval Europe.
(2) Why was the Middle Ages termed the “Age of Faith?” Cite some specific examples of the Church’s dominance over peoples’ lives.
(3) What are some ways the modern world is linked to the Middle Ages?
(4) What are some sharp differences in characteristic outlook between medieval and modern Europe?
- Discuss the social and econ. problems that afflicted W. Europe in the 14th/15th centuries, noting especially those related to Black Death
- Explain the Babylonian Captivity and the Great Schism, asses their effects on ordinary Christians and on the papacy and explain how these episodes were ended.
- Describe the criticism leveled at the church by John Wycliffe and Jan Huss, and explain why they were important.
- The term Renaissance means “rebirth.” In what ways was the renaissance a “rebirth?”