Write an essay that addresses a specific issue facing Asian Americans today that we have discussed in class. Issues include:
1.model minority myth
3.racial profiling and stereotyping
4.being stuck between black and white as a middleman minority
5. families being separated due to migration
6.cross cultural communication, medicine, and health
7. Asian Pacific American identity issues (including adoptee identities, LBGTQ identities, mixed-race Asian American identities)
In doing so, discuss how this issue affects a particular segment of the diverse Asian American community. Some area of APA Diversity include: immigration or refugee status, socioeconomic status, gender and sexuality, mixed-race background, etc.
Your response should be at least 3 full pages long (double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font) and no more than 4 full pages long.
Your essay must cite at least 3 in-class from after the midterm (2/26 and after), and 5 in-class sources total (at least 2 of the in-class sources should be readings).
Additional in-class sources include readings, lectures, videos, presentations, and class discussions. You may use an additional source or two from outside class to help illustrate your issue.
You should start with an introductory paragraph and end with a conclusion. Please include a bibliography of sources you cite (not included in the page count).
Book I used in class
* Schlund-Vials, Cathy, Linda Vo, and K. Scott Wong. Keywords for Asian American Studies. New York Universtiy Press, 2015.
* Keyword that we covered in class
* Zhou, Min and Ocampo, Anthony. Contemporary Asian America: A Multidisciplinary Reader. New York University Press, 2016.
* Covered chapters
* Are Asian Americans Becoming White?
* Parrenas. New Household Forms, Old Family values.
* Tomboys and Baklas
* Mapping Multiple Histories of Korean Adoption Identity
* Fadiman, Anne. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong child, her American doctors, and the collision of two cultures. Farrar, Starus and Giroux, 1999. (chapter 5 -19)
* Discussion Notes are about what I wrote for class so far based on reading assignments.