Write a 4-6 page annotated bibliography where you identify peer-reviewed publications that promote the use of a selected technology to enhance quality and safety standards in nursing.
Before you begin to develop the assessment you are encouraged to complete the Annotated Bibliography Formative Assessment. Completing this activity will help you succeed with the assessment and counts towards course engagement.
Rapid changes in information technology go hand-in-hand with progress in quality health care delivery, nursing practice, and interdisciplinary team collaboration. The following are only a few examples of how the health care field uses technology to provide care to patients across multiple settings:
- Patient monitoring devices.
- Electronic medical records.
- Data management resources.
- Ready access to current science.
Technology is essential to the advancement of the nursing profession, maintaining quality care outcomes, patient safety, and research.
This assessment will give you the opportunity to deepen your knowledge of how technology can enhance quality and safety standards in nursing. You will prepare an annotated bibliography on technology in nursing. A well-prepared annotated bibliography is a comprehensive commentary on the content of scholarly publications and other sources of evidence about a selected nursing-related technology. A bibliography of this type provides a vehicle for workplace discussion to address gaps in nursing practice and to improve patient care outcomes. As nurses become more accountable in their practice, they are being called upon to expand their role of caregiver and advocate to include fostering research and scholarship to advance nursing practice. An annotated bibliography stimulates innovative thinking to find solutions and approaches to effectively and efficiently address these issues.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 3: Evaluate the impact of patient care technologies on desired outcomes.
- Analyze current evidence on the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team.
- Integrate current evidence about the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team into a recommendation.
- Competency 4: Recommend the use of a technology to enhance quality and safety standards for patients.
- Describe organizational factors influencing the selection of a technology in the health care setting.
- Justify the implementation and use of a selected technology in a health care setting.
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication to facilitate use of health information and patient care technologies.
- Create a clear, well-organized, and professional annotated bibliography that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Follow APA style and formatting guidelines for all bibliographic entries.
To successfully complete this assessment, perform the following preparatory activities:
- Select a single direct or indirect patient care technology that is relevant to your current practice or that is of interest to you. Direct patient care technologies require an interaction, or direct contact, between the nurse and patient. Nurses use direct patient care technologies every day when delivering care to patients. Electronic thermometers or pulse oximeters are examples of direct patient care technologies. Indirect patient care technologies, on the other hand, are those employed on behalf of the patient. They do not require interaction, or direct contact, between the nurse and patient. A handheld device for patient documentation is an example of an indirect patient care technology. Examples of topics to consider for your annotated bibliography include:
- Delivery robots.
- Electronic medication administration with barcoding.
- Electronic clinical documentation with clinical decision support.
- Patient sensor devices/wireless communication solutions.
- Real-time location systems.
- Workflow management systems.
- Conduct a library search using the various electronic databases available through the Capella University Library.
- Consult the BSN Program Library Research Guide for help in identifying scholarly and/or authoritative sources.
- Access the NHS Learner Success Lab, linked in the courseroom navigation menu, for additional resources.
- Scan the search results related to your chosen technology.
- Select four peer-reviewed publications focused on your selected topic that are the most interesting to you
"Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!"